Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite vegetables and it’s a big hit in our house. It’s a vegetable masquerading as pasta, what’s not to love? We even started growing them in our backyard garden.
It is definitely one of those foods that no one will believe is what it is. The first time I prepared it for my kids, they were very skeptical that this big yellow vegetable could look or taste like pasta. I just served it up with some meatballs and sauce and they were amazed.
Now they love growing ‘pasta’ in the garden. A family favorite way to use them is for boats, bake up the spaghetti squash and drop the sauce and meat and cheese right in it. It’s a great way to use up the smaller squashes for the kids.
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise, seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place spaghetti squash cut side down on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minute.
- Flip over and bake for another 10 minute. Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cooled scrap out flesh with a fork.