This is my kids’ absolute favorite dessert, even more than candy and ice cream. It is way more than just fruit on a stick.
We like to make these in the summer, especially when we grill outside. It’s perfect for breezy summer evenings when the sun has finally set and it’s not quite as hot. My husband throws some burgers on the grill while I make the syrup. Then I let the fruit kind of marinate in the refrigerator while we eat our dinner.
The best part is when I somehow can hide the fact that I’m making them from the kids. They’re so happy when I bring them out for dessert.
Fruit is already so delicious, especially when fresh. The simple citrus infused sugar really brings out their flavors, like a fruit salad except on a stick. The best part is that you can use whatever fruit happens to be in season or available and it will taste just as good.
- ½ cored fresh pineapple
- 1 seedless navel oranges or Sicilian blood orange
- 8 strawberries hulled
- 75g sugar
- 200ml water
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 lime zested
- 10-cm skewers
- Cut pineapple half lengthwise. Cut the half into quarters lengthwise. Cut the quarters into 6 chunks making 24 pieces. Trim the ends off the orange and remove the peel. Cut the orange into 6 wedges then cut wedges in half horizontally. Stack 8 pieces of pineapple 3 pieces of orange and 2 strawberries on each skewer. Place skewered fruit on shallow dish.
- In a sauce pot combine sugar and water and place over high heat. Add the zest to the sugar. Bring to a simmer or until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Remove the citrus infused sugar from heat and pour over the skewers.
- Let flavours infuse 10 to 15 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.